[oss] Assignment #3 - Encryption API Benchmark

Razvan Deaconescu razvan.deaconescu at cs.pub.ro
Sat May 4 20:11:42 EEST 2013

Emma Mirica <emma.mirica at gmail.com> writes:
> Hi Razvan,
>
> What do you mean by "implementing the mandatory algorithms"? Shouldn't we
> test the implementations from those libraries?

Yup, it was a mistake from my side. I've updated the wiki page.

> For example, if I have the Twofish algorithm I should use the botan,
> libgcrypt and crypto++ implementations and then test and compare them.

Yup.

> In what context should these implementations be tested?

That's for you to decide. I suggest:
* Using the same hardware. Either you baremetal OS or a virtual machine
or, even better, both.
* Run encryption/decryption operations on files of different sizes (1MB,
8MB, 64MB, 512MB, 4GB).
* Measure/monitor memory usage, CPU usage, disk I/O.
* Try using both (f)read/(f)write operations and memory mappin files.
* Anything else you consider suitable.

Razvan