[oss] [CNS]Mysterious Script

Razvan Deaconescu razvan.deaconescu at cs.pub.ro
Sun Dec 4 10:36:44 EET 2016

Alexandru <alexandru.razvan.c at gmail.com> writes:
> Hello,
>
> I just stumbled upon one of the most interesting / annoying things and
> I am hoping someone might enlighten me.
> After a few hours of hacking at the final task (pure_shellcode) with a
> pwntools script it wouldn't work even though i was pretty sure the
> script/solution was correct. Final attempt before seppuku: open Kali
> VM, copy-paste __identical__ code ===> WORKS. Does anyone have any idea
> why would this happen or any logical explanation? Maybe encountered
> something like this before?
>
> Ruled out:
> - same python versions
> - same pwntools
> - both ubuntu host and kali vm x86_64
> - tried from *fresh* cmd line / terminal
> - no firewall or anything preventing pwntools communication
>
> PS. Free beer for anyone who could explain this :D

Something like this happened in one of my labs with Cosmin Samoilă. His
Kali VM system didn't properly run a pwntools-based solution script, but
it worked on my system and on the systems in room PRECIS 706. I asked
him to send it to my via e-mail, but I didn't yet look through it.

Does your script work on the remote side? It would be excellent to
create a private repository, store the script there and give us access
to it[1].

[1] http://ocw.cs.pub.ro/courses/cns/assignments/assignment-2#support

Razvan