[oss] CTF Crash Course

Radu Caragea sinaelgl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 22:31:59 EEST 2013

Hello,

As Razvan mentioned today in class, we are holding a CTF crash course
[1] (for beginners to this type of contests) which is to take place on
the 26th of October and the 2nd of November.
Apart from the exploitation tasks we are studying in the CNS labs we
will also be going over other categories that appear in CTFs such as:
Recon, Forensics (including some Stegano), Bruteforcing, Classic
Crypto, Basic Reversing, Basic Web Exploitation. Because this is an
entry-level CTF the first set of challenges wil be very easy so we
advise not to "peek" at any of them (or else it will probably spoil
some of the fun). However, the learning curve will be steep so later
on in the game tasks will become much more difficult and even more
fun.

As we are limited to one lab room there will only be ~18 seats, so
please complete the registration form as soon as possible to express
your interest in participating.

Note: On the 15th of November there will be an online qualification
round for the Defcamp CTF (Defcamp [3] is the most important
conference on Information Security issues in Romania) so this workshop
could give you an edge over other teams. The top 5 teams will get free
access to the Bucharest conference and will go on to the Defcamp CTF
finals (both of which will take place 29-30 November).

[1]: http://koala.cs.pub.ro/hexcellents/wiki/hs/sessions/0
[2]: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ffHdb_4l85GoIveXC_kbS89U8r44wxkcIc21cTClBdc/viewform
[3]: http://defcamp.ro/

Cheers,