[oss] Last class - starting at 9AM

Razvan Deaconescu razvan.deaconescu at cs.pub.ro
Mon May 13 11:04:27 EEST 2013

Razvan Deaconescu <razvan.deaconescu at cs.pub.ro> writes:
> Hi, everyone!
>
> Tomorrow's class will start at 9AM. We will use about 1.5-2h to talk
> about:
> * The exam
> * The assignments
> * The project
> * Feedback
> * Maybe look through a level on iosmashthestack :-)

Discussions in class:
* The exam will consist of two topics:
** A quiz using multiple answer questions: 44 questions, 45 minutes
** A set of 2-3 code snippets with vulnerabilties. You have to identify,
  exploit and mitigate the problems: 2-3 topics, 30-45 minutes.
* Another 0 assignment (at the very beginning) would be useful:
  simple CTF game using buffer overflows & integer issues (3
  levels). There would be a total of 4 assignments.
* Simplify 2nd assignment.
* Adjust CTF tasks in labs to current topic (stack overflow, integer
  overflow etc.)
* Add simple demo-like tasks during the lab, before the CTF tasks.
* Add a lecture on reverse engineering.
* Separate introductory lecture from stack lecture.
* All lecture slides should be prepped and ready in due time.
* Add precise references at the beginning of the slides.
* There should be cookies or biscuits during the class.
* For each lab in the second part use demos according to lab topics, add
  a code review task and then work/continue working on a real CTF.
* Options for project:
** Create a project and audit other projects.
** Audit open source projects on GitHub.
** Audit assignments for Operating Systems class.

If I missed anything, please let me know.

Razvan